Are your beloved Ugg boots your wardrobe staple? Do you want to get the most wear out of them? Follow these tips on how to take care of your Uggs, and you’ll be sure to wear them in years to come:
1. Treat your Uggs with a water and stain repellent
As soon as you start wearing your Ugg boots, treat them with a water and stain repellent. Even before you start wearing them, treating them with a water and stain repellent will prevent any initial staining and will keep dirt from seeping into the material of your boots.
2. Never let your Uggs soak in water
Unless you want water stains, letting your Ugg boots soak in water is never a good idea. It could also wrench your boots out of shape and weaken its adhesives.
3. Never place your Uggs under a direct heat source
Whether it’s a radiator, an electric heater or the sun, especially, placing your Ugg boots under a direct heat source will not only fade the colour of your boots, but make the material dry and brittle. Walking under the sun is harmless, but never store your Uggs under direct sunlight.
4. Never put cleaning products directly onto the boot
When cleaning your Ugg boots, put the cleaning solution onto a sponge or a cloth first. Putting cleaning products directly onto your boots runs the risk leaving splotches or stains on your Uggs.
5. Use a soft-bristled brush when brushing your Uggs
A stiff, coarse or a wire brush will get rid of the dirt, but could also leave permanent scratches and damage to your Ugg boots.
6. Let your Uggs dry fully before storing
Always let your Ugg boots dry fully before you store them. Hastening the drying process and putting them away while they’re still damp could cause mould to form on your boots and damage them.
7. Avoid wearing your Uggs to places or on activities that could scratch, scuff, or dirty them unnecessarily
As tempting as it may sound and as often as it is done, you should never wear your Ugg boots to places or on activities that could scratch, scuff, or dirty them unnecessarily. Uggs aren’t meant to be worn in the rain, snow or on a hiking trip.
8. Wear socks with your Uggs
Wearing socks with your Ugg boots is a good way to prevent odours from developing.
9. Make use of boot shapers when your Uggs are not in use
Boot shapers will help your Ugg boots retain their shape when stored. You could also opt for stuffing your Uggs with plain paper or a rolled towel.
10. Treat your Uggs to professional shoe repair or cleaning service from time to time
If you’re in doubt about how to remove a certain stain or how to clean your Ugg boots, it’s best to take your boots to a professional cleaner.
Article by: Kelly Abrahams